Stone of Complete Composure & Balance
In ancient times it was believed that Tourmaline glowed due to is very own energy, as the stone become electrostatically charged when partaking in friction.
There is an old Egyptian legend that tells the story of how the Tourmaline, when making the long trip from the earth heart up towards the sun, it traveled along a rainbow, and on it’s travels it collected all the colors in the rainbow for it’s own
Scientific Gemstone Properties
Mohs Hardness of 7.5 with a trigonal crystal structure
Members of the Tourmaline family of minerals have basically the same crystal structure, but occurs in many colors, each with their own name and slightly varied chemical make up.
Red or Pink Tourmalines are called Rubellite, these are the most highly prized.
Dark Blue Tourmaline is called Indicolite, an is often heat treated to lighten it’s color and create a more attractive stone.
Brown or dark colored Tourmaline is called Dravite, and it’s color is often lightened with heat treating.
Colorless Tourmaline is called Achroite, it is particularly rare, but may be produced by heat treating pink Tourmalines.
Watermelon Tourmaline are pink in the center and green on the rim, or vise versa.
Black iron rich Tourmaline is called Schorl and it is very common.
Yellow Tourmaline or yellow-green is often simply called by it’s color.
Green Tourmaline is called Verdilite. The green form of this stone was often confused with the emerald until the 18th century.
Metaphysical Gemstone Properties
All Tourmalines are said to enhance understanding, increase self-confidence and amplify psychic energies. They are told to neutralize negative energies, dispel fear and grief as well as aid in concentration and communication.
Tourmalines are used in an effort to relax the body as well as mind, and to aid in the treatment of infectious diseases, anxiety, blood poisoning, arthritis and heart disease.
Healing Gemstone Properties
In general Tourmalines are said to enhance flexibility, objectivity, compassion, happiness, serenity, balance, positive transformation, healing, strength, tolerance and understanding. It is told to be an excellent channeling stone for communication with the higher forces.
One might consider the family of Tourmalines a bit like batteries to ones electromagnetic system. Charge oneself overnight by holding these stones in the hands, by placing them under one’s pillow, or place them on a bedside table pointing towards oneself.
Green Tourmaline is said to regulate blood pressure and can strengthen the heart and nervous system. It is also said to stimulate digestion and strengthen the immune system.
Black is said to protect one against high radiation, and has a positive effect on the body’s loco motor system, while strengthening musculature.
Blue Tourmaline is told to combat water-retention, promote detoxification of the entire body, strengthen the immune system, as well as reducing throat and bronchial infections.
Watermelon Tourmaline is said to alleviate pain, protect the nerve cells and strengthen the immune system.
Magical Gemstone Properties
Energy: Various (see below)
Element: Various (see below)
Planet: Venus & Mars
Deities: Venus & Mars
Powers: Love, Friendship, Peace, Courage & Astal Projection
Candle Color: Pink
Each color of this stone holds it’s own magical attributes, some crystals possess two or three hues, so read carefully.
- Pink (energy: receptive, element: water) this stone draws love and friendship, to be worn to promote sympathy towards others.
- Red (energy, projective, element: fire) is worn to lend more energy to the body promote courage and strengthen the will; it is also to be used in protection rituals.
- Green (energy: receptive, element: earth) Use this stone to draw money and success in business, it is worn to stimulate one’s creativity.
- Blue (energy: receptive, element: water) this stone is best worn for peace and restful sleep as well as to de-stress.
- Black (energy: receptive, element: earth) this hue is used for grounding purposes and as to represent the earth in spells relating to that element. It is protective, and it absorbs negativity when charged for that purpose through visualization.
- Watermelon (energy: projective and receptive, element: fire and water) this gemstone is worn to balance the male and female energies within one’s body, it is also a love stone and works best for this purposed when used by one who is balanced.
Zodiac Gemstone Properties
Zodiac Stone of: Libra
Birthstone: Alternative Modern Birthstone for the month of October, Traditional Birthstone for the month of October, Anniversary Stone for the 8th Year.
To dream of Tourmaline means one needs to be watchful of unexpected and potential dangers.
Chakra Gemstone Properties
Specifically green, pink, red and watermelon Tourmaline are for work on the 4th, Heart Chakra, Black on the 1st, Root/Base, and Blue on the 5th, Throat Chakra.
Other tourmalines would be associated with the Chakra of their coloring.